Saturday, October 7, 2017

deactivating my facebook account for censorship of pro autism cure post

I just wanted to let my readers know that I encountered a facebook group autism acceptance (or something like that) who had a post asking why any autism group would promote a shirt advocating for a cure for autism and ergo the destruction and killing of autistic people.  It was captioned with the following photo:
This is a photo of actor Vin Diesel wearing a shirt advocating for a cure for autism .  This generated a flurry of angry comments protesting a cure and claiming those wanted a cure wished to destroy autistic people.  Some people alleged that this was photoshopped and Mr. Diesel never actually wore this shirt, i don't know if that is true or not.  

I made the mistake of posting a comment on this page stating that though a cure may be considered politically incorrect, it was a nice thought and that if people did not want a cure for autism they should not get one. 

I then copied and pasted this photo on my own facebook page with a similar comment.  I was shocked to find that at least one of these neurodiversity people reported this to facebook and had my post deleted. 

I was so shocked and angry over this injustice that I posted that I was seriously considering deleting my account.  One individual commented that some neurodiversity people had started a page entitled "Mothers who hate their autistic children" which was apparently one of the well-known attempts by some neurodiversity activists to bring back the bettelheim era.  They would say things like some mothers wanted to cure their autistic children because they hate them.  They filed a report with Facebook who responded that this did not rise to their definition of hate speech and did not delete the page.  But apparently if someone posts a polite comment and photo like this, this constitutes hate speech from Facebook's point of view. 

I wrote a post stating that I was considering deleting my account I was so angry over this, though some people urged me to stay on.  I requested an account delete but it usually takes two weeks or more to go through and you can cancel before deleting your account.  I decided there might be an alternative explanation for this like a DMCA violation of posting this photo, so I cancelled the delete and told people I would stay for the time being. 

I thought this originally because the photo was taken out of the original post I got it from, but I just think the page owner found it so offensive she coudldn't stand looking at it.  So, it seems unlikely there is an explanation other than the fact facebook engages in censorship of anti-neurodiversity pro-cure posts even if they are polite.

 I've now decided on a compromise.  Instead of deleting my facebook account I deactivated it, meaning that I put it in abeyance for an indefinite period of time but I can always go back and put it back on if I want.  So this way, I won't lose data if I want to go back in and get some old photos or some other data I have on my FB page.  I can also restore the page if I change my mind. 

There is no point in participating in facebook if they are a pro neurodiversity organization who engages in this type of censorship.  Now the ND's have succeeded in getting autism speaks to abandon the search for a cure and the federal government to abandon combating autism, they've now suceeded in getting facebook to delete any pro-cure posts that they report to them.  At least they were not successful in getting my newsweek profile killed. 

So I guess if anyone gives a shit about me they can see what I post on twitter, which does not seem to engage in the petty censorship that facebook does. 

I enjoyed logging on to facebook and looking at some people's pages and chatting with people and all the other perks involved in being on facebook.  I guess the ND's can take some satisfaction in that they've delivered another blow to me and unfettered speech.


7 comments:

Roger Kulp said...

OK Johnathan,that's your decision.I would never leave Facebook,I spend too much time in Facebook groups that have nothing to do with autism.I belong to a few hundred.I'm sorry to see you go.Your page is gone.Not archived,just gone.You seem to be gone from messenger too.

I just thought I would let you know,that when I tried to share a link to this blog post on Facebook,Facebook would not let me post the link,because it came up with the photo of Mr. Diesel.

Mr. Diesel himself has spoken out about how bad autism can be,and the need for cures and treatments,with predictable results from neurodiversity advocates.I know his son is on the spectrum,but I have no idea how severe his autism is.

I am not on Twitter,but may join now.

jonathan said...

Roger, my facebook page has been deactivated, I could restore it by signing back in and i might do so sometime, if something is wrong and i cant not end of world.

Interesting to hear about that. Did not know he had a child on the spectrum. Some of the people in that group were claiming the shirt was photoshoped on him, I guess that was either wishful thinking or dishonesty

HL Doherty said...

Jonathan your voice is an important one in online world autism discussions. It is a voice that I appreciate. As Roger said it is your decision but I look forward to when you re-activate your FB presence. Harold L Doherty, Fredericton, NB, Canada.

jonathan said...

thanks for kind words, harold. I will reactivate likely at some point, but trying to take an extended break for a while. I'm still on blogger and on twitter if you want to read my thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Jonathan - I admire your courage in speaking out, and I frequently read your blog. I am the mother of a grown son who is profoundly affected by autism. He will require lifelong care and support. I am in favor of treatment, therapy, and cure.

I would certainly not force a cure on anyone - those who find their autism not a disability but a difference can exercise that choice. But I do think a cure should be available for those who want one, much as cochlear implants are available for deaf individuals who want to hear.

It has made me sad and angry to see the way the neurodiversity movement has co-opted almost every major autism organization and research for a cure seems to be have been sidelined.

jonathan said...

Anonymous 10:49. thanks for your comment and reading my blog. I agree with everything you've said and my heart goes out to you and your son. Unfortunately, even if it weren't for all the terrible politics that have prevailed in the autism world today, a cure is not likely to be available in the forseeable future. But the whole political situation nowadays indeed makes it worse.

Seeing Clearly Media said...

Hello Jonathan, If autism by any chance is the result of environmental influences like air pollution and diet, it is very likely the reversal of the autism epidemic will not be able to happen in any time frame that matters without the intervention of technology we may or may not yet have. Yes, the political climate regarding autism seems apocalyptic because as everything goes down (the autism epidemic worsens) all people are doing is just celebrating more and more as the ship continues to keep sinking. We must also realize that we don’t just have an autism epidemic, we have an epidemic of the things that are causing the autism epidemic, we can’t have one without the other. Whether it be pollution or diet or the moon getting further and further from the sun for all we know, one thing is for certain, rationally and realistically speaking, we don’t just have an autism epidemic, we have an epidemic of the things and influences that are causing autism. Many have tried to identify what this influence of epic proportions is, some have suggested it might be vaccines, personally I am not convinced that the autism epidemic revolves entirely on vaccines, I think there is more to the story or incident or issue.