Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Occupy neurodiversity: A younger generation autist comes up with a winner!

I'd like to give a shoutout to teenaged antineurodiversity blogger
Oliver Canby's latest post in which he draws an excellent analogy to the occupy wall street movement to demonstrate the problems that those of us who'd like a cure for our autism face.

Though I don't agree with all of Oliver's statements, particularly a call for violence if necessary, nor will I be contributing $500.00 to his cause or soliciting donations of my own, I believe this post deserves commentary.

For years some of the members of the neurodiversity movement have made the statement that most autistics don't want to be cured.
Wrong planet founder, Alex Plank has been at the head of the pack in this regard. He even has the motto "autism is good" on his website.

While I won't claim most autistics want to be cured or give an exact number of 99%, there are certainly a good many autistics who are not represented by neurodiversity. It is likely many of these who can't speak or head bang would like a cure.

Many persons on the spectrum are too low functioning or would not have the inclination to write a blog post trying to dispute neurodiversity. Many parents who are working hard, fighting for services and other help for their kids just don't have the time to blog and refute what the ND's say.

Many if not the majority of ND's are young college students or even younger teenagers who have time on their hands with very little responsibilities. They are not encumbered from being able to rant and rave and spread their evil message. So, though the numbers may not be exact, the analogy between the top 1% and bottom 99% rings true.

It is wrong for Alex Plank, Michael John Carley, Dawn Prince and others to speak on our behalf. They have no way of knowing what percent of autistics support neurodiversity and which don't. There is a good chance that a silent majority does believe autism is not a trivial condition and wish for a cure--including the majority of those on the spectrum themselves.

I have no job, can't get anything done during the day and have very little social interaction and I'm in the bottom 99%.

Though not easy, I'll do what I can to combat neurodiversity. Hopefully someday there will be a cure for autism or a way to prevent a child from becoming autistic. No, I'm not talking about abortion.

I hope the time will come when neurodiversity is exposed for the fringe movement that they are and the 99% of us whose impairments make it difficult to fight back will allow our message to be heard by the media.

2 comments:

Oliver M Canby said...

Thanks Jonathan. It's a damn shame that the mainstream media only focuses on the top 1%, but I suppose that neurodiversity paid them off so it's really no surprise.

Anonymous said...

I'll NEVER have any say in what it's like for me.